Doctor Finders 

Vascular Surgeon

Vascular surgeons specialize in treating diseases that affect the vascular system. The vascular system consists of arteries and vein, both of which can be managed by medical therapy. In certain cases, minimally-invasive catheter procedures, and surgical reconstruction are conducted to help patients with vascular problems.

Vascular surgeons are trained to diagnose and manage all diseases that could impact each part of the vascular system, with the exception of the heart and the brain. Some conditions that may be treated by a vascular surgeon include, but are not limited to deep vein thrombosis, diabetic problems, peripheral arterial disease, arm artery disease and varicose veins. Two common tests that are given by vascular surgeons to test for such symptoms are an angiogram and duplex ultrasound.

Vascular surgeons will give patients an angiogram if they are attempting to view a patient.s blood vessels. This type of test is able to measure and study any narrow, blocked, or malformed arteries in the human body. This test can be used to look at the abdomen, legs, and in some cases the brain and heart. When vascular surgeons also study the arteries in detail, this test is sometimes referred to as an arteriogram. If the veins of the body are looked at in details, it can also be called a venogram.

For some cases, vascular surgeons may use a duplex ultrasound to detect health problems in a patient. A duplex ultrasound is a combination of Doppler flow information and the gathering of imaging information, which is sometimes referred to as B-mode. This type of test is used for vascular surgeons to see the structure of a patient\'s blood vessels. The duplex ultrasound shows the way in which the blood flows through the vessels. It can also measure the speed of the blood flow and can detect obstructions or blocked arteries.

Thousand of Americans are currently living with diabetes or have other vascular problems. If you feel you may be at risk or are suffering from one of these conditions you may want to contact a vascular surgeon. A vascular surgeon will be able to advise you on the right treatment options available to you.

Vascular Surgeons Near You